Friday, January 4, 2008

The Shack - Part 2

I sent an email with a question and comments to William Paul Young and he replied...

My question was: I'm wondering from reading the book, do you think that all people will be in heaven? Do you believe that all people will come to relationship with God at some point and make it to heaven?

He said it would be okay to post his reply on my blog...

Hey Robin,

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to drop me a note and for the warm and encouraging words...much appreciated. I am grateful that the book has touched your life in a way that breathes grace into your heart. Just like Sarayu to do that. Thanks too for the blog review and whatever you choose to do in the future...much appreciated.

As to your specific question, let me answer it as best I can, with the caveat that I don't want this particular issue to become the 'reason' I wrote the book...it is not. I wrote the book to express to my children what I believe about the One who I love so much that there really are no words adequate to describe.

Having said that, this is such a great question and is currently being highly debated in Christian circles. Let me tell you what I do believe, understanding that like all of us, we are all in a process of understanding the heart of the One who knows us best and loves us most. I do believe in Hell, that it must be spiritual in nature (since it was created for the devil and his angels). I also believe that everything that Papa does or creates, including Hell, has a purpose and that its purpose is motivated by love. I also believe that when all is said and done, Papa will win, completely...without violating anyone and in fact by burning away from each life that which inhibits the freedom to run to his embrace. How that all looks as it is all worked out...don't know. I love the Timothy passage that says, "This is a statement true and worthy of full acceptance, that Jesus Christ is the savior of all mankind, especially of believers." I firmly believe that it is what Papa did in Jesus that saves us, and that not even our limited ability to choose independence will ultimately be a rival to his purposes. I think that we must choose what exactly saves us, and the choice is between Jesus and our ability to choose. I firmly believe that only Jesus saves us.

Blessings on your day and all the surprises of grace that await you,

Paul ('willie')

3 comments:

EF + said...

Thanks for sharing. It is definately thought provoking.

Randi Jo :) said...

hmmmm gosh Robin - I could think on this all night and not really get anywhere. I'm going back and forth already and I haven't even read the book. Now I have to go to the library and request it. Great entry though - I think it's so so wonderful you wrote and he wrote back. awesome! :)

Robin said...

I did enjoy the book for some of the lessons that it taught; however I have issues with some of the theology. The books is full of grace, but it lacks truth. I recommend reading "The Grace and Truth Paradox" by Randy Alcorn. It balances both grace and the truth about God's holiness. Consider Romans 6:23 - http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+6%3A23&version=NIV