“Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.” Hebrews 13:3
I just finished a tough book that is on the reading list for my church's missions group - Tortured For Christ by Pastor Richard Wurmbrand. I highly recommend this book to all Christians because we need to know, care, pray and do something about the plight of our brothers and sisters in the Underground/Persecuted Church. It is unbelievable to us here in the land of plenty to think about the sacrifices they obediently make just to tell one of their neighbors about Jesus. They truly love their fellow man enough that they are willing to be tortured, imprisoned and martyred for their faith. Below are some quotes from the book that spoke loudly to my heart:
Pastor Wurmbrand said, “In the first days after my conversion, I felt that I would not be able to live any longer. Walking on the street, I felt a physical pain for every man and woman who passed by. It was like a knife in my heart, so burning was the question of whether or not her or she was saved. If a member of the congregation sinned I would weep for hours. The longing for the salvation of all souls has remained in my heart and the Communists are not excluded from it.” How can we turn our heads when we see our neighbors in need of what we possess and keep it to ourselves?
“Persecution has always produced a better Christian – a witnessing Christian, a soul-winning Christian. Communist persecution has backfired and produced serious, dedicated Christians such as are rarely seen in free lands. These people cannot understand how anyone can be a Christian and not want to win every soul they meet.”
Goals of The Voice of the Martyrs
1. Provide Christians with Bibles, literature, and radio broadcasts in their own language in restricted nations where Christians are persecuted. Page
2. To give relief to the families of Christian martyrs in these areas of the world.
3. To undertake projects of encouragement to help believers rebuild their lives and witness in countries that have suffered Communist oppression.
4. To win to Christ those who are opposed to the gospel.
5. To inform the world about the atrocities committed against Christians and about the courage and faith of the persecuted.
For more information or to make a contribution please contact:
The Voice of the Martyrs
P.O. Box 443
Bartlesville, OK 74005