Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Turn: Remembering Our Foundations by Max Lucado


Max Lucado wrote a book that focuses on returning to the foundations of our faith. It is the official 2005 National Day of Prayer Theme Book. He expands on the Scripture 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." He gives advice in four basic turns:

Turn #1 Toward God's Glory
Turn #2 Toward God in Prayer
Turn #3 Toward God's Word
Turn #4 Toward God in Repentance

In the first turn the author suggests the reader to apply the filter of 1 Corinthians 10:31 to our government. With the presidential primaries in full swing, its a good time to consider this quote, "Elect officials for the glory of God. Not for the glory of Democrats, Republicans, or Independents. Not for the glory of my crusade or your cause, her race or his gender, but for the glory of God." Why do we elect a candidate?"

In the second turn Max reminds us of Jesus teaching on prayer: "Did Jesus call us to preach without ceasing? Or teach without ceasing? Or have committee meetings without ceasing? Or sing without ceasing? No, but He did call us to “pray without ceasing” (1 Thessalonians 5:17)

In the third turn he challenges each of us to apply God's Word to our lives. "Apply it to your finances. Test God’s Word on your job. Test the Bible on your relationships. But most of all, apply the Bible to your soul."

In the fourth and final turn he discusses repentance. He modernizes the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector from Luke 18, "In the same meeting, a man of humble heart, too contrite to even look to the skies, prayed, “God, have mercy on me – a sinner. Like m brother on welfare – I’m dependent on Your grace. Like my sister with AIDS – I’m infected with mistakes. Like my friend who drinks – I need something to ease my pain. And like those You love who are gay – I need direction, too. Have mercy on me a sinner." That makes it real by bringing it into our neighborhoods!

I pray that this book of less than 100 pages is both an encouragement and a challenge as we look deeply into the Word of God and make applications in our prayer lives.

No comments: