Monday, March 31, 2008

If I Only Knew...What Would Jesus Do? by Joan Hake Robie

When I found If I Only Knew...What Would Jesus Do? in the library, I was curious and wondered what the author could share in such a short book, so I checked it out. She addresses common issues that we all deal with from time to time and then asks the question WWJD? Then she shares a Scripture that is relevant to the situation followed by a short commentary on dealing with the problem. I like the book, but it seems a bit simplistic. It reminded me of my days watching the Brady Bunch when they solved problems in thirty minutes with brownies and milk. Of course that didn't stop me from tuning in for the next episode.

Some of the smaller issues the author discussed have excellent suggestions for dealing with them immediately. However, I think many of the more complex problems require more than Ms. Robie gives us, but she may be just providing the starting point to dealing with the issues. You can't go wrong using Scripture and prayer. If you find yourself dealing with a complicated life situation that is beyond your knowledge, consult your pastor or a Christian counselor, but most importantly pray and seek God's guidance and will for your life.

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." ~ James 1:5

"Be joyful always;
pray continually;
give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments: