Thursday, March 27, 2008

Where My Heart Belongs by Tracie Peterson

I found this book at my local library a couple months ago (I renewed it multiple times) and finally started reading it about a week ago. It's a story of choices, consequences, loss, and healing. Tracie Peterson puts a new spin on Parable of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-32). In this novel the prodigal is a younger daughter who chose to leave her loving family to find what she was looking for in the world far from home. Twelve years after leaving home she decides to return home to many changes and wants to seek reconciliation. Forgiveness came easy from two family members, but the relationship she desired the most was the most difficult to achieve. The two sisters share pieces of their past throughout the book as they work toward reconciliation. A major lesson of the book is that we all make choices both noble and otherwise and have to live with the consequences.

Where My Heart Belongs can inspire change, love and forgiveness if we are open to that choice. The ending seemed to come together too neatly in a way I can't imagine life happening, but its still worth a read.

This book encouraged me to consider my choices and how they have effected my life and the lives of others. The choice to forgive and seek reconciliation is one we all need to pursue because others see Jesus or NOT through our actions.

When God Ran

"And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses. But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses." ~ Mark 11:25-26

5 comments:

Randi Jo :) said...

ohh I LOVE this blog! I love books like you do!!!! :) But where's the entry for the shack!? Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will go to the library and ask for it. I tend to write all over and highlight in my books so I usually don't get library books - but it may be worth it to not spend the money but still get it asap! :) THanks again :)

Robin said...

Hi Randi Jo,

I have two entries for The Shack

#1 - http://robinsreadingroom.blogspot.com/2007/12/shack-by-william-p-young.html

and

#2 - http://robinsreadingroom.blogspot.com/2008/01/shack-part-2.html

Feel free to come back and browse anytime. You can search for a book you are interested in by typing the title of the book in the space on the top left that says search blog. I have tons of books that I plan to do a write up on, but haven't gotten around to yet. I try to keep my sidebar current with what I'm reading currently. The books I keep listed in the recently read category are ones that have either been read in the last month or ones that I plan to do a write up on soon.

If you have a question about a specific book or author, please feel free to ask.

Robin said...

Oh Randi Jo,

I've always been a book highlighter, underliner too, but now that buying books isn't in my budget I put post-it notes on my favorite quotes and type them up and then post them in one of my other blogs - www.thinkonthisquotes.blogspot.com

It helps me when I want to find something later because I can just type in the author's name or key word from the quote and locate it. Keeping track of scraps of paper got to be too much!

Randi Jo :) said...

HEY! I finally found these messages! I am so so thankful for this advice, and I'm so excited to start this new venture! I didn't really the "search" button the top you could search your own blog -- duh! :) I'm so excited THANK YOU Robin! :) I look forward to what comes from all of this. Hope you had an awesome weekend! :)

Robin said...

Hi Randi,

I'm glad you have your reading blog up - I'm checking it every day. Books are AWAESOME!