Finally, I'm making the time to post about the book I shared a section from on Saturday from Ruthie's Bookworm tag. Ever since I was a young teen I’ve been challenged by the work of the Schmelzenbach family in Africa, so this book had special meaning to me. Recently in church we watched a DVD that shared more about this family and their work in Africa. They gave up so much for their love of God and their love of our brothers and sisters in Africa. What an inspiration!
Back of Book Says:
AFRICA. The word conjures up so many images. Tigers. Hot sunshine. Safaris. War. Drought.
Yet we mustn’t forget Africa is home to so much more – including thousands of people in desperate need of a Savior. Down through the decades, the Church of the Nazarene has valiantly taken the gospel to the far reaches of this vast continent. Weathering famine, death, persecution, and war, missionaries and national leaders alike have stayed true to God as He grew our church.
Read about the prayers of those desperate to bring the Church of the Nazarene to their home countries…the joy of a young witch doctor turning to Jesus… the triumph of knowing God’s leader for Africa’s first Nazarene university.
Africa. Over a center of Nazarene work has come and gone. Yet it’s still a place where the decades whisper the glory of God’s name.
If you are interested in reading this book or five others about other parts of the world where the Church of the Nazarene does mission work, contact NPH to purchase the book or a local Nazarene Church where the books can be borrowed free of church. The church also provides six books that are appropriate for children to read.
CALL TO ACTION - Page 89
After reading this book, consider doing one or more of the following:
1. Organize a Work and Witness (short-term missions) team to take on a project in Africa. There is always a need. Contact Nazarene Headquarters (Church of the Nazarene Global Ministry Center 17001 Prairie Star Parkway Lenexa KS, 66220 Phone: 913.577.0500) and ask for the director of Work and Witness. They will provide you with information regarding needs and requirements.
2. Provide books for our Bible college libraries in Africa. For further information, contact Dr. Perry by E-mail at MazSwiSA1@msn.com, or write him at 11807 12th Avenue East, Bradenton, FL, 34212.
3. Pray for the work of our church in creative access areas on the Africa Region. The pressure on Christians and church workers is very great in these countries.
4. Invite a missionary from Africa to speak in your church.
5. Help provide scholarship funds for students at our Bible colleges in Africa. Contact the Nazarene Missions International office in Lenexa, KS for further information.